# How to Download Windows 10 on Chrome OS: A Step-by-Step Guide
If you have a Chromebook and want to run Windows 10 on it, you might be wondering how to download Windows 10 on Chrome OS. This article will show you how to do it in a few simple steps.
## Why Download Windows 10 on Chrome OS?
Chrome OS is a fast, secure and easy-to-use operating system that runs on Chromebooks. It is based on the Chrome browser and has access to thousands of apps and extensions from the Google Play Store and the Chrome Web Store.
However, some users might want to run Windows 10 on their Chromebooks for various reasons. For example, they might need to use some Windows-only software or games that are not available on Chrome OS. Or they might want to have more control and customization options over their devices.
Fortunately, there are ways to download Windows 10 on Chrome OS and run it alongside or instead of the default operating system. This can give you the best of both worlds: the speed and simplicity of Chrome OS and the versatility and compatibility of Windows 10.
## How to Download Windows 10 on Chrome OS: The Requirements
Before you start downloading Windows 10 on Chrome OS, you need to make sure that your Chromebook meets the following requirements:
- It has an Intel processor. Windows 10 does not support ARM-based processors that some Chromebooks use.
- It has at least 64 GB of storage space. Windows 10 requires about 20 GB of space for installation, plus additional space for updates and apps.
- It has at least 4 GB of RAM. Windows 10 runs best with at least 4 GB of memory, especially if you plan to run multiple apps at once.
- It has a USB port. You will need a USB flash drive or an external hard drive to create a bootable Windows 10 installer.
- It supports Legacy Boot Mode. This is a setting that allows you to boot from a USB device instead of the internal storage. You can check if your Chromebook supports Legacy Boot Mode by following these steps:
- Turn off your Chromebook and plug in the power cord.
- Press and hold the Esc and Refresh keys, then press the Power button.
- Release the keys when you see a screen that says \"Chrome OS is missing or damaged\".
- Press Ctrl+D to enter Developer Mode. This will erase all your data on your Chromebook, so make sure you back up anything important before proceeding.
- Wait for the process to finish and reboot your Chromebook.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to enter a terminal screen.
- Type `crossystem dev_boot_legacy=1` and press Enter. This will enable Legacy Boot Mode on your Chromebook.
- Type `sudo poweroff` and press Enter. This will turn off your Chromebook.
## How to Download Windows 10 on Chrome OS: The Steps
Now that you have prepared your Chromebook, you can follow these steps to download Windows 10 on Chrome OS:
1. Download the Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft's website. You can choose the edition, language and architecture that suits your needs. Save the file to your USB flash drive or external hard drive.
2. Download Rufus from its website. Rufus is a free tool that helps you create bootable USB drives for various operating systems. Save the file to your USB flash drive or external hard drive as well.
3. Plug in your USB flash drive or external hard drive to another computer that runs Windows. Run Rufus and select your USB device as the target drive.
4. Under \"Boot selection\", click \"Select\" and browse to the Windows 10 ISO file that you downloaded earlier. Rufus will automatically detect the settings for the file.
5. Under \"Partition scheme\", choose \"MBR\". Under \"Target system\", choose \"BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)\".
6. Click \"Start\" and wait for Rufus to create the bootable Windows 10 installer on your USB device.
7. Unplug your USB device from the computer and plug it into your Chromebook.
8. Turn on your Chromebook and press Esc when you see the boot screen. This will bring up a menu where you can choose which device to boot from.
9. Select your USB device and press Enter. This will launch the Windows 10 installer on your Chromebook.
10. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows 10 on your Chromebook. You can choose to install it alongside Chrome OS or replace it entirely.
## How to Download Windows 10 on Chrome OS: The Tips